ALL BECAUSE TWO PEOPLE FELL IN LOVE

ALL BECAUSE TWO PEOPLE FELL IN LOVE

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Honoring My Great Uncle Elmo Platt




So My sisters, Amy, Heidi and I took the long journey down to Ceder City. Where they were honoring Elmo, he was the only boy in Kanarraville in World War II to die. Oh and Amy's little one Brecken came as well. We had a lot of fun, there was never a dull moment. We ment my grandparents there. Right above is my grandpa and some of his siblings. Elmo was the Eldest Platt children, While listening to the talks, they explained how excited Elmo was when he was excepted into the marines. He left when he was 18 to World War II and never came home. He was stranded on Iwo Jima. He could leave the island If he swam but he didn't. The last letter he wrote to his parents said "I'm on a little island called Iwo Jima, and I'm doing okay" Later that day he was shot in the head and killed. Leaving my Grandpa John the only boy left and he was ten at the time. I guess when my grandpa was old enough to go to war, they sent a letter and his mother refuse to draft him. She wouldnt even let him serve in the US. She never wanted to go through that again. It was an amazing experience I was glad that I could be a part of.





No comments: